Tuesday, July 12, 2016

SERVANT ATTITUDE - July 12 Today's Perspective

PERSPECTIVES FROM DAVID’S 7 SECRETS
Chapter One, “Bring on the Giants,” pp. 1-2


THE SERVANT 
ATTITUDE    

                 



The truth is, we like the idea, but throughout the day we really do not think of ourselves as servants.  We want to be the leaders, the proprietors!

The thing is, if the top business owners or managers, the top salesman, the most famous singers, or most recognized actors or athletes had a servant attitude, people would be astounded and work harder or admire even more.  It’s a strange truth.

When you consider the greatest person who ever lived, the servant attitude does come to mind.  Jesus talked about it and even acted it out for his disciples to emulate.  He said in Matthew 20:26-28, “…whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant…just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.”  Then a couple chapters later in 23:11 he repeats, “The greatest among you will be your servant.”

Later at the last supper He washed His disciple’s feet as an example for them to do likewise.   I have seen and heard of many Continental directors who did the same, and washed the feet of their tour members to help them realize none were any better than the other.  The spotlight operator was as important as the finest soloist.

David’s title for Psalm 18 and 36 were as follows, “For the director of music. Of David, the servant of the Lord.”  Wow, how cool is that!  Then, in Psalm 143: 11-12 he writes. “For Your Name’s sake, O Lord, preserve my life…for I am Your servant.” And in Psalm 144:9-10 he says, “I will sing a new song to You, O God; on the ten-stringed lyre I will make music to You, to the One who gives victory to kings, who delivers His servant David from the deadly sword.”

In 1978, we recorded a song by Larry Norman that really dug deep into the hearts of all The Continentals that toured that year, developing the servant attitude in each one.  The last verse says… 

“I am a servant getting ready for my part. 
There’s been a change, 
a rearrangement in my heart.  
At last, I’m learning, 
there’s no returning once I start.  
To live’s a privilege, 
to love is such an art.  
But I need Your help to start, 
O, please purify my heart.  
I am Your servant.”

HAVE A SERVANT HEART







No comments:

Post a Comment