Monday, June 20, 2016

ORDINARY PEOPLE - June 20 Today's Perspective

PERSPECTIVES FROM DAVID’S 7 SECRETS
 Chapter Five “ALL” P. 68

ORDINARY PEOPLE

David was just an ordinary shepherd boy until he experienced God’s call on his life.   Then, he gave his all to that call, and that destiny.  And God was able to say to him later in his life, “….I took you from the pasture and from following the flock to be ruler over my People, Israel.  I have been with you wherever you have gone and I have cut off all your enemies from before you, now I will make your name great, like the names of the greatest men of the earth”.

From the lambs to the Lord.  From the pasture to the palace. How did this amazing circumstance happen?  It happened because He believed God had chosen him, and he was faithful in the small and difficult things God laid out in front of him to do.  He never looked back. And, lots of bad stuff happened for a lot of years.

He wrote Psalm 23 when he was a young man.  It told of the journey he was embarking on for the rest of his life.  From the peaceful green pastures, past the turbulent dark valleys, and naysayers, to the jubilant culmination of his impossible dream. 

The last phrase, verse 6, of this great Psalm embodies his total commitment to God and his calling. “And I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever”.  Stretching out those words, he was saying much more. “…And I will always live to serve You, to accomplish Your plans for my life and to live out my destiny.  All that I am, and all that I will ever be, is Yours forever.”

You also are called and have a destiny.  However small or big your personal world is, that’s where God has placed you to begin.  God uses ordinary people to do extraordinary things.

He can take the smallest, weakest most insignificant one of us, and yet, if we have the same heart commitment as David, He can use us to make an amazing, positive difference in our world.  “But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong…”  I Cor. 1:27

In 1978 I recorded a Daniebelle Hall song called “Ordinary People”.  As the Continentals sang it all that summer, it changed their hearts and their commitment…

Just ordinary People
God uses ordinary people.
He chooses people, just like me and you
Who are willing to do as He commands.

God uses people that will give Him all
No matter how small your all may seem to you,
Because little becomes much
As you place it in the Master’s hand.

Let’s face it, you and I are really just ordinary people, but like the song and the scripture says, if we are willing to put our all in His hands…


Ordinary becomes extraordinary!


For a blast from the past, click here to listen to the song "Ordinary People"


No comments:

Post a Comment