Tuesday, June 21, 2016

HOW ABOUT YOUR HEART? - June 21, Today's Perspective

PERSPECTIVES FROM DAIVD’S 7 SECRETS
“Prelude” p. XXI

HOW ABOUT YOUR HEART?

Hopefully this past weekend you were being encouraged by a stimulating, scriptural message from the pastor and worshiping the Lord as you let your voice fill the room with a worship chorus like this one by Paul Baloche:

OPEN THE EYES OF MY HEART, LORD
OPEN THE EYES OF MY HEART
I WANT TO SEE YOU,
I WANT TO SEE YOU

The concern is still about our hearts. Remember, that is where God looks every time.  He is concerned with our motives and our honesty.

Jesus, in Matthew 15:8, quotes from the prophet Isaiah, who was voicing God’s word when he wrote, “These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.  They worship in vain (whoa - God notices!), their teachings are but the rules taught by men.”

That’s the heart of the matter isn’t it?  Jesus is looking at our hearts.  He wants to see a pure heart and a true worshiper.

When I was in college and testing out different churches, one Sunday I found myself in a big charismatic church. They were singing a song that was new to me. The lyrics went like this:

HOW ABOUT YOUR HEART?
IS IT RIGHT WITH GOD?
THAT’S THE THING THAT COUNTS
TODAY

Well, all these years later it is still the big question.  The thing that counts today with God, who is looking past our outward appearance and what our voices are saying, is still what is going on…

ON THE INSIDE









No comments:

Post a Comment