Tuesday, May 31, 2016

REMEMBER ME - Today's Perspective




PERSPECTIVES FROM DAVID’S 7 SECRETS

Chapter six, “Be There Like a Good Neighbor”  p.78



REMEMBER ME



Yesterday was Memorial Day…remember day.  So I’m one day late with these remembrance thoughts…



Remember the line from the old song…“We will have these moments to remember"?  I remember my dad today; hunter, fisher, trapper, hard worker, Bible teacher and scholar.  When Alzheimer’s got him at 80 he remembered my name, but once I had to convince him that I was the one whose name he had remembered.  He remembered things from the past, but he had trouble with the present.



We need to remember those we loved who have passed on  and what they gave us that we can pass on to those we love today.  The older I get the more I remember my mentors.  So I talk to them often and from time to time, I get calls from those I mentored as well.  This is a good thing.



David, when he was well established as king, remembered Jonathan, his close friend from the past.  David asked his advisors if there were any descendants of Jonathan’s family left alive. They told him of Jonathan’s crippled son, Mephibosheth.  He came to David with great fear though, as the custom was to kill all descendants of a previous king. But David remembered his pledge to his friend. So he made Mephibosheth like one of his own family.  From that day on, he sat at King David’s table like a son for the rest of his life.



My last remembrance thought today is what Jesus said at the last supper.  He said, “Remember me.”   Barry McGuire wrote a song that the Continentals recorded in 1979, “The Communion Song”, and it is one of my all time favorites.  The recurring lyric is Jesus words… “Remember Me, Remember Me.”   Jesus wanted us to remember Him.  Today and every day…



Remember Him...


No comments:

Post a Comment