Wednesday, June 7, 2017

“DON’T LAUGH!” – Wednesday June 7, 2017


RECOLLECTIONS OF A CONTINENTAL DIRECTOR

(By Gonzalo Gallardo - a Chilean Continental for 3 years and director for 10 from 1992 to 2001)

PLEASE DON’T LAUGH OUT!                    
                     
Gonzalo Gallardo
It was 1992 and I was in my junior year as a music major at the University of Playa Ancha, in Chile.  I attended the Catholic Church and I thought that because I lived in a Catholic country, that fact made me a believer.  That summer I was invited to a rehearsal concert of the Chilean Continental Singers, directed by the missionary, Michael Mahoney.  The Evangelical Christian music in Chile was known to be of low quality and geared toward the lower social class.

Based on this impression, when I went to the concert with my two friends I said, “This is a concert of an evangelical group, so please, out of respect for the people, don’t laugh out.”  As the concert started, the singers ran through the aisles and onto the stage.  The sound quality was incredible!  The energy displayed by the group was something I had never seen in any choir or musical group.  My mouth was literally hanging open.  I couldn’t believe my eyes and ears.

The program was called “Set Them Free.”  At the beginning I was so impressed with the vocal arrangements and the instrumentalists, but then the words of the songs filled my mind and heart: “Free in Christ, leave your burdens on Him, freedom in Jesus….”  When the director asked to see the hands of those who wanted the empty space in their heart to be filled with Christ, I felt the need, but I was worried what my friends would think.

The next day I found out where their concert was and as I neared the church I heard the music and my heart responded.  I entered the church and I just couldn’t stop crying.  When the invitation was made I fought the urge to respond, but I felt as if someone physically raised my arm.  I am convinced it was the Holy Spirit.

Despite the darkness of the church, Michael Mahoney sent one the singers to pray with me.  At that moment Christ accepted me as His son.  The heaviness in my heart was lifted.  I felt different, I looked at things in a different way and even my friends said that my expression was different.
I wanted to use music in that way, so mid-year I applied to the Chilean Continental Singers.  Only one year after I had received Christ in my heart and now as a Continental myself, I was praying with people to receive Christ in the very same way that I did.

The Continental Singers was my “church” during the tours I participated in.  It was in this ministry where I grew spiritually and became part of a new family.  Since then I have led Continental tours throughout South America, Mexico and even Cuba and actually spent one summer directing an American tour in the States.  I am so thankful for what God has done through the Continentals here in Chile and in reaching people like me all over the world.


Gonzalo is currently Director of Career of Phonoaudiology (Speech Therapy, Vocology and Audiology) on faculty of Rehabilitation Sciences, Andres Bello University, Chile

No comments:

Post a Comment